Sunday 27 June 2010

Angus & Julia Stone last night

My sis and a I were lucky enough to get right up in the grill of  the bro/sis act Angus & Julia Stone last night. Admittedly I haven't been too taken with the duo from Newport, Sydney, until now.

Angus & Julia Stone come from musical pedigree, their mum and dad playing in a band together back in the day. They introduced the siblings to music from an early age, Julia playing the trumpet and Angus playing the trombone to start. Their musical prowess grew exponentially from there with their debut EP Chocolates and Cigarettes released in August 2006 in both Australia and the UK. They haven't looked back since.

Last night we were treated to a selection of their current chart toppers, from Paper Aeroplane to Just a Boy and as soon as Julia took to the mic all my previous indifference evaporated into thin air. Her voice, childlike almost, rang out across the crowded bridge, transcending time, as she switched from guitar to trumpet, to key board, to singing all in one song. Angus, full of praise of his sis and on this occasion looking like a vagabond shrouded in his own unkempt shag of hair and baggy hat, was just as charming and thought evoking as Jules.

The duo's folk/accoustic genre has a distinct ethereal vibe. My heart welcomed the sounds that took me back to the 1970's, a time when I wasn't even on the earth yet but that has always engaged my soul in terms of the beats, the rhythms and lyrics, and the calm of a simpler life. A & J transported me to that happy place in my soul, the place that makes my body move, my eyes close, my hands dance and my mind wander; playing in creeks barefoot, climbing trees, a white sundress, coast trips with the windows down, friendship, freedom.

The list of songs are every morsel as delectable as the sounds they entitle: Mango Tree (a definite fave - so beautiful, I feel like I am right there with them), Horse and Cart, Silver Coin, Private Lawns, Santa Monica Dream, Jewels and Gold, Stranger, and my personal favourite right now, The Beast.

And to top it off, they have an amazing online presence; check out their whimsical website and the upcoming tour dates here. Or buy their latest album 'Down the Way' here.

PS You guys, this was my first real music review - let me know what you think!

2 comments:

  1. Loved it! Makes me want to start downloading pronto! A photog. friend of mine who shot our wedding shoots for them all the time. Has done some of their album photos and media stuff. Love your reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh fab! They really blew my mind - what I wouldn't give to see them in France!!! Maybe I should get Mr Frog on the case....

    ReplyDelete