Sunday 5 December 2010

6:54am

This is a rainy cosy Sunday.


Now is probably the time to begin the first of a long trail of posts relating to my latest and greatest purchase - my lovely art deco apartment.


Can I first start by saying that notwithstanding I studied Real Estate Transactions as an elective (I know, was completely out of my mind) at Law School, the entire process, in practice, was hectic! I thought I knew all there was to know about purchasing property! Turns out, when you've got 30 years of mortgage repayments and the fact that you've found 'the one' riding on it the whole thing can be incredibly stressful and nerve wracking! 


Time is of the essence in these contracts so almost everyday there will be a document due or a meeting staged. 


On any one day I would call:


1. Mum/Dad
2. Real estate agent
3. Finance Broker
4. Solicitor
5. Builder
6. Pest inspector
7. Insurance brokers


Multiple times. 


Granted, I put undue influence on the deal by insisting the sale was subject to a 7 day building and pest AND 7 days finance, sending my posse into a tailspin to complete everything before Christmas.


But I truly believe (mum as a real estate guru backing me up) that we needed to act swiftly and forcefully to secure this little slice of  New Farm. At the price it was being advertised and with our knowledge of all the other 'shoe boxes' on the market we knew we had to snap it up. 


The sale went unconditional on Tuesday and that's when I finally started to breathe again. And to really settle into the fact that I am now a proud homeowner, a landlord (almost) and a TRUE adult. 


The beauty about Adelea (yes its art deco charm extends to its name as well) is that for the most part it is in original condition (Lead light windows and door features, a cloak closet in the entry way, a brass door knocker, ceiling cornice features) but it needs work. 


The kitchen and bathrooms are old and in desperate need of a make-over and the mint green walls throughout really don't do much for it, or me for that matter.


This is my new project. I take possession on 31 January 2011 and until then I need to procure furniture, interior design ideas, paint colours, and all sorts of Bunnings related paraphernalia so when my friends and family come over for the 'working bee' I'm hosting we can hit the ground running. We'll be a make-over machine!


Look out The Block, Look out The Renovators....

No comments:

Post a Comment